The Roman Catholic Dioceses of Kildare and Leighlin, and Ossory
have parishes in all of County Carlow and County Kilkenny as well as parts of Counties Kildare, Offaly, Laois, Wexford and Wicklow giving a combined total of 98 parishes. Each parish has volunteers who create, maintain and monitor a safe environment for children and vulnerable adults in all aspects of church life and activity.
Together, we are currently seeking to appoint a
DIOCESAN DIRECTOR OF SAFEGUARDING WITH RESPONSIBILITY FOR CHILDREN & VULNERABLE ADULTS
(32 hours per week) initially for 3 years, subject to renewal.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and available on request.
- A professional qualification in social work or other area related to Child Protection.
- Considerable paid experience of working in the area of safeguarding, with professional competence at leadership level in fields of child protection, probation, education, social work, policing or healthcare.
- A good knowledge of the Policy, Procedures and Guidance of the Catholic Church in Ireland, including the operation of the National Board for Safeguarding Children in the Catholic Church in Ireland (NBSCCCI) relating to safeguarding of children.
- A good knowledge of HSE guidance in relation to safeguarding vulnerable adults.
- Familiarity with church structures and activities.
Appointment to this post is subject to the completion of necessary vetting procedures. The successful candidate will possess appropriate administrative and IT skills.
Duties will include:
- To act as DLP taking on all reporting and case management requirements.
- To liaise with relevant DLP personnel in both dioceses ensuring best practice is adhered to in respect of case managements.
- Planning and managing Diocesan Safeguarding Services in both dioceses.
- Coordinating of policies and procedures, in line with NBSCCCI guidance and HSE guidance.
- Providing for training of volunteers in the area of safeguarding children and vulnerable adults.
- Establishing, maintaining and updating training records.
- Visiting parishes to ensure best practice is adhered to.
- Managing and coordinating of regular parish audits in line with the Church’s safeguarding policy.
- Reporting to and advising both Bishops in respect of safeguarding matters including case management and the maintenance and creation of safe environments.
- Serving and supporting both Diocesan Safeguarding Committees and other relevant bodies.
- Supporting Parish Safeguarding Representatives and advising parishes on policy and best practice.
- Participating in inter-diocesan bodies and attending at relevant conferences and training as appropriate.
This post will be based between Carlow Town and Kilkenny City and will require travel around both dioceses. The Diocesan Director of Safeguarding is accountable to the Bishops of the Diocese of Kildare & Leighlin and the Diocese of Ossory. As this role will also require delivery of training the successful candidate may be required to attend and deliver training during evenings and weekends.
Applications must include a CV (with details of referees – to include one character and at least one professional referee) together with a cover letter and must be returned by post to Kildare & Leighlin Diocesan Office, Bishop’s House, Old Dublin Road, Carlow R93 F6D5 no later than 12 noon on Wednesday 2nd December 2020.
The Job Specification is available here and also on the Diocese of Ossory website (www.ossory.ie) or on request from Kildare & Leighlin Diocesan Office, Bishop’s House, Old Dublin Road, Carlow R93 F6D5 and Ossory Diocesan Office, James’s Street, Kilkenny R95 NH60.