St. Andrew’s Parish Church
AddressMarket Square, Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow R21HF97
|8:00am, 11:30am, 7:30pm|
|10:00am, 6:00pm Vigil|
|6:00pm Vigil, 8:00am, 11:30am|
St. Andrews Parish Church
For a long period the precise date of when the Church in Bagenalstown was built and when Mass was first celebrated there was uncertain, with 1820 being the most mentioned year. However, the publication of extracts from the Journal of John Murphy in Kilcumney its Origins, Aftermath and Legacy and the later publication by Dr. Catherine Anne Power of her article on the origins and development of Bagenalstown and her book on the Brigidine Sisters, have provided a clearer and more creditable scene of the construction time of the building. The beginning of services in the church in Bagenalstown, as recorded by John Murphy, can now be given as Sunday 5th April 1795. The accounts of the dates and visitations of Bishop Daniel Delany in Dr. Powers book on the Brigidine Sisters included confirmations in Bagenalstown, the first being stated as on 19th October 1796 in the new church of the new parish of Bagenalstown, which had by this time replaced the old parish and church of Dunleckney. On 30th June 1803, a second confirmation ceremony took place in Bagenalstown when Delany confirmed 700. Delany was so impressed with the improvements in the environs of Bagenalstown church that he promised to consecrate the chapel yard. According to Murphys Journal, work commenced on the church in Moneybeg on the 27th June 1794. The Journal also mentions that on the 23rd March 1806 Prendergast said Mass at the new altar in Bagenalstown. On 5th April 1807 Rev. Mr. Kealy and Rev. Loughlin Mahon were appointed curates to the parish of Bagenalstown.
Renovated 1893 to what it is today, almost. The Steeple was added. Bernard Deegan, Royal Oak Road Chief Masons were Doyles. It was opened by the Bishop of Waterford in Oct. 1893 by the then Bishop of Waterford. The Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin blessed the steeple
Porches in side aisles were added c. 1917. Architect/builder was a man named Foley, a brother of Bishop Foley.
Mortuary added in Mgr. Conways time
Fr. Dowling renovated the Sanctuary c. 1978.
( Cobden never mentioned, people were only interested in the local people. The Land for the Church was given by the Newton Family, the successors to the Bagenals. They also gave the land for Newtown Church.)