Trócaire has launched an emergency appeal and committed €200,000 to help families and communities in the flooded north west of the Pakistan.
Emergency response to help flood survivors
source – www.trocaire.org
Click on link to Donate to Pakistan Floods Appeal or by calling 1850 408 408 (ROI) or 0800 912 1200 (NI).
Donations can be sent by post to
- Trócaire, Maynooth, Co. Kildare;
- Trócaire, 12 Cathedral Street, Dublin 1;
- Trócaire, 9 Cook Street, Cork
- Trócaire, 50 King Street, Belfast, BT1 6AD.
20 years in Pakistan
The death toll in northwest Pakistan has reached almost 1500 with 2 million people struggling to survive after the worst flooding in living memory.
Trócaire has been working in Pakistan for over 20 years, making it well placed to respond quickly to this disaster and get help quickly to where it’s needed most.
Trócaire has already launched an emergency appeal in order to help families and communities in the north west of the country.
Cecil Dunne is Trócaire’s Emergency Officer in Pakistan. He is coordinating the response from Islamabad. He says the situation is really desperate for survivors,
“floodwaters have washed away people, homes, bridges, water systems and medical facilities. Survivors have been left with nothing; no home, no food and no livestock as more rain starts to fall”.
“This is a terrible situation for families and communities who only a year ago had their lives turned upside down by widespread violence in this area and now they are on the run again from flooding. The thing is that the monsoon season hasn’t even started yet so people here are very vulnerable and need immediate help.”
Trócaire relief work
- Trócaire is providing food, water, water purification tablets, cooking utensils, high energy biscuits for children and sanitary supplies to survivors. In the Nowshera area alone, Trócaire’s partners have been providing pre-cooked meals to over 300 families since the weekend.
- South of this, in the area of Peshawar, Trócaire’s partners are providing food, water and sanitary supplies to over 1,500 families in 4 villages.
- The people in the north west of Pakistan were already very vulnerable after violence there last year when a military offensive against the Taliban forced entire communities from their homes, destroying their livelihoods. Now people are on the run again, their homes, crops and livestock destroyed for a second time.
These people desperately need our support. Trócaire is providing immediate support. We will also work with our local partners in the years ahead to rebuild communities.