Read a letter of thanks to the diocese from Trocaire following the recent national collection for the South East African Appeal. A newsletter with updates on the work in SE Africa is also available for download.
Click to download East Africa ROI Newsletter
Letter of Thanks from Trocaire
We would like to thank you for the incredible response from your diocese to the crisis in east Africa. Your diocese raised €228,690, all of which will go directly to saving lives and protecting communities in east Africa.
Since declaring an emergency appeal on July 5th, Trócaire has raised a remarkable €8.9m for relief projects in the region. Over half of this money – a massive €5.1m – was donated through the church collection. The Catholic Church in Ireland can be extremely proud of its efforts to save lives in east Africa.
Thanks to the generosity of the public, we have been able to target 450,000 people across Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia for life-saving interventions. The money has made a massive impact, including:
· In Kenya and Ethiopia a total of 249,000 people are taking part in cash and food for work programes to help support their families;
· An additional 36,000 people are being registered for food aid in Kenya and Ethiopia;
· 30,000 Somalis will benefit from a voucher programme, which gives them access to food and clean water;
· Drought-tolerant seeds will be distributed to 10,000 families over the coming weeks in preparation for the October – December rains;
· Trócaire-trained birth attendants safely deliver 300 babies each month in an area where there are no doctors;
· Our 12 nutrition centres in Somalia are being expanded to accommodate the 400% increase in admission rates since January;
· As well as delivering food, Trócaire projects are building water pipes, farm terracing, dams and irrigation systems in east Africa.
The attached newsletter, which has been posted to parishes and to each Bishop, contains information about Trócaire work in east Africa and our commitment to long-term solutions to the drought crisis. Please feel free to distribute this newsletter at church services or to use the information for your own newsletters and websites.
Communications Officer | Trócaire
+353 (0)1 654 9113 | +353 (0)86 207 1942
http://www.trocaire.org| Skype: eoghanrice