Sacramental Coordinators are invited to a gathering in Mt. St. Anne’s Retreat Centre, Killenard on Saturday, June 18th.
This gathering is for all sacramental coordinators currently working in parishes in the diocese and would also be an ideal opportunity for those hoping to begin their work in September to become more familiar with the role.
We will begin at 10:30a.m. and finish with a light lunch at 1:30p.m.
There are now 44 parishes with named Sacramental Coordinators which is a wonderful sign of the generosity and commitment of so many people to this very important ministry.
All Sacramental Coordinators currently on our database will already have received an email or letter with the date of this meeting .
More detailed information, including an agenda will be sent out in the coming week. This information will also go to those in parish leadership in the diocese.
The agenda will include
- input on The New Missal ,
- The International Eucharistic Congress 2012
- the National Directory for Catechesis in Ireland.
- There will also be an opportunity to explore the implications of the New Missal for our parish based sacramental preparation programmes.
Appointing a Sacramental Coordinator in the parish:
One of the major learnings from the initial use of the new Confirmation programme, You Shall Be My Witnesses’, was the need for someone to take responsibility for coordinating it in the parish. It does require quite a bit of organisation and many parishes found that they needed someone other than the priest to take on this work. In order to facilitate this we ask parishes to consider appointing a Sacramental Coordinator. This might be someone from a previous year’s parent volunteers who will have the added advantage of being familiar with the programme or it may be a parish pastoral worker, parish team member, parish council member or anyone else of your choosing. It may be a good idea to have one overall coordinator who can then appoint a liaison person for each school using the programme within the parish.
Some of the tasks of the Sacramental Coordinator might include:
- Liaise with school and parish to ascertain number of children who are preparing for Confirmation
- Ensure that the material for programme is ordered from FDS office
- Organise an information night for parents. Where possible they will also facilitate this meeting using the available material.
- Ensure that the Child Protection Policy of the diocese as laid out in the programme is followed
- Organise the parent volunteers to attend a diocesan training session
- Meet with parent volunteers following training to review the material and organise the programme in the parish
- Liaise with priest/parish team members and teachers to keep them informed of the programme and obtain their help and support when necessary.
- Maintain contact with individual school liaison people and or parent volunteers for the duration of the programme
- Encourage parental involvement and support for the programme particularly the prayer element