source – www.trocaire.org
On January 12, 2010, Haiti, one of the poorest countries in the world, was ripped apart by an earthquake. In less than one minute, tens of thousands of people were killed and many more left homeless.
The Irish people responded to this disaster by donating a staggering €8m to Trócaire.
In the immediate aftermath of the earthquake, Trócaire, alongside the global Caritas humanitarian network, provided shelter to 160,000 people, healthcare to one million people and food to over one and a half million people.
Popular broadcaster Lorraine Keane visited Haiti in December to see the impact your donations have made.
What we’re doing in Haiti
Download an update on our response – Rebuilding Haiti: How Trócaire is helping Haiti recover
Our work continues in Haiti and we are ensuring that every cent donated goes directly to helping those worst affected by the devastating earthquake.
Donations from the Irish public are continuing to fund vital work in Haiti, including:
- A pre-school feeding project for 90 children in Port-au-Prince, as well as the reconstruction of the project centre;
- Supporting school fees of 4,855 primary school children in Port-au-Prince, Jacmel and Cayes Jacmel;
- Providing food and clothing to 400 vulnerable children and their families in Port-au-Prince and Jacmel;
- Supporting the resumption of electricity and medical procedures in a health clinic in Port-au-Prince;
- Supporting the reconstruction of education facilities and the continued education of children in the Parish of St. Gerard’s;
- Providing Child Friendly Spaces for 2,000 children in Port-au-Prince, for recreational, educational and group psychosocial purposes;
- Distributing seeds, technical agricultural support and essential non-food items, such as school supplies and mattresses, to over 800 families in the North West;
- Providing community-based mental health support services for 20,000 people in Leogane and Delmas;
- Recruiting and training 60 out-of-school youth for community outreach programmes;
- Supporting the Ministry of Health in training primary healthcare doctors on mental health care;
- Construction of 100 permanent, earthquake-resistant houses in Gressier.
Your money is making a massive difference to the people of Haiti.
Thank you for your support.