On June 13th (Sat) Tullow Parish will continue a 225 year tradition of Corpus Christi processions followed by a special opening of the Bishop Delany museum.

tullow-corpus-christi

Corpus Christi Procession – 13th June 2009

On Saturday June 13th the Parish of Tullow will continue a two hundred and twenty fifth year tradition of Corpus Christi processions. In spite of the penal laws Bishop Daniel Delany, then Bishop of Kildare & Leighlin held a public procession in honour of the Blessed Sacrament on the Feast of Corpus Christi in 1784.

Mass will be celebrated on Saturday at 7.30pm in the Church of the Most Holy Rosary followed by the procession which will finish in the grounds of the Brigidine Convent for Benediction at the Temple.

The grounds are laid out in the shape of a Monstrance. The Monstrance that will be used in the procession actually belonged to Bishop Delany and it is normally on display in the Bishop Daniel Delany Museum.

Bishop Delany Museum

In honour of this tradition the Bishop Daniel Delany Museum, located in the grounds of the Brigidine Convent near the Temple, will be opened from 8.00pm to 9.30pm and admission is free.

In 1807 Bishop Daniel Delany, then Bishop of Kildare & Leighlin founded the Bridigine Order and a year later in 1808 he founded the Patrician Brothers. For the past 200 years both Orders have cared for students in schools, both primary and secondary while always being faithful to the vision of Bishop Daniel Delany, who saw education as a pathway to a fuller and better life for all.

The main focus of the Museum is a display of artefacts relating to Bishop Daniel Delany and to the work of the Sisters & Brothers. The Museum was opened in May of last year as part of the Brigidine Sisters 200th anniversary celebrations.

bishop-delany-museum-bn