This morning Pope Benedict XVI ordained Monsignor Charles Brown as archbishop in Saint Peter’s Basilica in Rome. Speaking after the celebration Cardinal Seán Brady, Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland, said: “I am very pleased to be in Rome today, the Feast of the Epiphany of Our Lord Jesus Christ, with Cardinal Desmond Connell, Bishop Noel Treanor and Bishop Donal McKeown, to attend the episcopal ordination of Monsignor Charles Brown, the recently appointed Apostolic Nuncio to Ireland.
“I particularly wish to express my gratitude to the Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, for appointing Archbishop Brown to Ireland and I wish him many blessings in his new ministry. I am confident that he will do excellent work in both forging strong and fruitful diplomatic links between Ireland and the Holy See to the mutual advantage of both States, and, in the promotion of renewal of the Church in Ireland. I warmly congratulate Archbishop Brown and his family and many friends who have travelled to Rome today to witness this significant occasion.”
Notes to Editors
(i) Pope Benedict XVI appointed Monsignor Charles Brown as the new Apostolic Nuncio to Ireland on the 26 November 2011.
(ii) Briefly summary of the life and ministry of Archbishop Brown:
- Monsignor Charles John Brown was born in New York, United States of America, on 13 October 1959.
- He was ordained priest for the Archdiocese of New York in Saint Patrick’s Cathedral on 13 May 1989.
- He served as curate in the Parish of Saint Brendan, in the Bronx, New York, from 1989 to 1991.
- From 1994 Monsignor Brown has been attached to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome.
- He was appointed Chaplain to His Holiness on 6 May 2000.He was appointed Assistant Secretary to the International Theological Commission in September 2009.
- Monsignor Brown holds the following academic degrees:
BA in history, University of Notre Dame, Indiana (USA) MA in Theology, Oxford University (England) MA in Medieval Studies, Toronto University (Canada) M.Div., St Joseph’s Seminary, New York (USA) STL and STD in Sacramental Theology, Saint Anselm Pontifical Athenaeum (Rome)
Catholic Communications Office, Maynooth: Martin Long 00353 (0) 86 172 7678