Rededication – 8th December 2012
The ceremony of the dedication of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Allenwood, Co Kildare took place on Saturday, 8th December 2012 was celebrated by Monsignor Brendan Byrne, Diocesan Administrator and was attended by Bishop James Moriarty, retired Bishop of Kildare & Leighlin along with many former priests of the parish of Allen.
The cermony began with the handing back of the keys to Monsignor Byrne by the contractor Mr Michael Judge followed by mass which included the Blessing and sprinkling of water, Incensation of the Altar and the Church and the Dressing of the Altar.
The Church of the Immaculate Conception, Allenwood, was designed by architect Charles B. Powell and was officially opened in 1954. The church underwent internal renovations and re-ordering some 23 years ago which saw a partition sealing off the old sanctuary area, the ceiling was lowered and nine beautiful stained glass windows were fitted in the western side of the church which reopened in December 1989. While this renovation achieved many of its objectives, many parishioners felt uncomfortable facing westward in a church designed for the congregation to face in a different direction.